SourceTree: Fix for Slow Operation on Windows


SourceTree Screenshot

This post discusses an issue I had with Atlassian’s SourceTree software and my firewall. I originally thought that SourceTree was just slow and didn’t work well on Windows, but I recently found out it was actually my anti-virus and firewall that was causing the issues.

Read the rest of this entry »

Using Integers as Boolean Flags


Something I find handy while programming is being able to use the bits in an integer-type variable as boolean flags. What I mean by that is, let’s say you have an INT that is 4 bytes in size. Each byte consists of 8 bits so this INT contains 32 bits in total (4 bytes * 8 bits in a byte). If we have a program that has 32 different boolean variables, wouldn’t it be more effective to store all of them in a single integer variable? This would especially be helpful when you want to keep your networking packets small. 32 booleans in 4 bytes instead of 32 bytes! Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide how to use it; I’m just here to show you how.

Read the rest of this entry »

2014 Update


It’s been a long time since I’ve written a post and it’s long overdue. A lot has happened over the past year so this post is more about what I’ve been up to and less programming related. :)

Read the rest of this entry »

How to fix: File in Use – Personal.xlsb is locked for editing


I recently added some macros into my PERSONAL.XLSB file for Excel and started getting these annoying pop-ups saying that it’s locked for editing. This file loads in the background every time you open a copy of Excel. The point of it is to give you a place to save commonly used macros that will then be loaded and available to you in whatever workbooks you open. The problem with this is that if you open multiple copies of Excel, they all ask the operating system for write permissions in case you want to update the file.

This article explains how to fix this issue depending on whether you want to keep the file or get rid of it.

Read the rest of this entry »

Browser Automatically Blocks Ports


While working on an ASP.Net project at work, I found a strange “feature” (I’m more inclined to call it an annoyance) that is built into certain browsers. It seems that Firefox and WebKit have automatic port blocking built into them for specific ports. I was specifically trying to use port 6000 (a seemingly random, easy to remember port) but couldn’t access the web server. After a little searching, I managed to find some information and thought I’d share it.

Read the rest of this entry »

Latest Posts



Post Calendar

September 2014
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930