Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 1 – Tile Engine and Map Structure


Assuming you’ve read up on the first post, it’s time for the first (back-logged) Fondusi’s Development Blog weekly post.

Week 1 – August 1st – 7th

Note: We decided to start out making the map editor so we could get the tile engine up and running quickly before we needed the server, client or networking code. So, until further notice, all posts relate to developing the map editor.

This week I set up the solution’s main projects and began work on the tile engine. I based the map layout on the old game’s map objects and added new capabilities as I saw fit. The major new addition was using map layers. Basically, this is like having two maps stacked on each other. There are special tiles that allow the character to switch between layers. This means we can do things like allow players to walk over other players on bridges or have a house with two floors on the same map.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – The Beginning


So, I figured that since no one (from Fondusi’s) reads this, it’s probably safe to start writing about our development progress on the new version of Fondusi’s. My plan is to write a blog post once per week (hopefully on Sunday) that sums up the development progress that we’ve done during that week. We’re in our fifth week so I’ll have to do some retroactive work.

Before I get to that, however, a little back story:

About 7 years ago, maybe more… sometime around 2004 anyways, I was a teenage (wanna-be) programmer who thoroughly enjoyed 2D, SNES-like RPGs. Especially the online one’s like Graal, Deloria (RIP <3) and all those Mirage, Elysium, etc. projects. And so it was that I decided to make my OWN 2D, online, SNES-like RPG. So I started messing around with those Mirage/Elysium type VB6 game engines. After Deloria died, there were a few clones, the main one (as I recall) was run by GodSentDeath (GSD) and DarkAngel (or whatever the heck Frank’s alias was). Somehow I got the source to this game after GSD stopped working on it and did a bit (very bit) of work on it. Eventually, I took that source and built it into what Fondusi’s was 1.5 months ago. After weeks, months, years of work. VB6 just wasn’t cutting it. I figured, “Hey, I’m a good programmer. I’ll just recreate the engine.” If only I had known about source control back then…
Read the rest of this entry »

Latest Posts



Post Calendar

September 2011
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930