Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 6 – Part 1 – C# Sockets and Servers

This week we spent some time doing little things – fixing bugs, changing how things look, etc. We also started work on the networking code which is what I talk about in this post. I discuss the beginnings of the TCP multi-client server application with actual code examples and descriptions.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 5 – Lighting and Spatial Partitioning

This week we managed to get a lot of things done. Andrew did a lot of work on the region editor and I added some cool new features and fixed bugs in the lighting system.

This post covers changes to the lighting system and spatial partitioning/hashing. I go in-depth on how to use spatial hashing to not only cut down on the amount of things drawn, but to draw only the things that can be visible on screen.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 3 – Tile Behaviours

This week we got some of the extra mapping tools working like the paint bucket and the eye dropper, which allows you to select a tile from the map (so you don’t have to find it on the tilesets). We also set up “tile behaviours” (read the full post for more info), added the ability to switch between player mode and camera control, added some validation functions for mouse clicks on the game from (see here for more details), added an outline for the player name font, and did an overhaul of the particle engine system to make it more generic and useful.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 2 – Pixel Shaders and Moving Players

The second week of development was spent reorganizing the map editor and fleshing out more-or-less how we wanted it to look and function. We added a basic pixel shader effect file and changed how players move across tiles, which I discuss in more detail in the full post.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – Week 1 – Tile Engine and Map Structure

Assuming you’ve read up on the first post, it’s time for the first (back-logged) Fondusi’s Development Blog weekly post.

Week 1 – August 1st – 7th

Note: We decided to start out making the map editor so we could get the tile engine up and running quickly before we needed the server, client or networking code. So, until further notice, all posts relate to developing the map editor.

This week I set up the solution’s main projects and began work on the tile engine. I based the map layout on the old game’s map objects and added new capabilities as I saw fit. The major new addition was using map layers. Basically, this is like having two maps stacked on each other. There are special tiles that allow the character to switch between layers. This means we can do things like allow players to walk over other players on bridges or have a house with two floors on the same map.

Read the rest of this entry »

Fondusi’s Dev Blog – The Beginning

So, I figured that since no one (from Fondusi’s) reads this, it’s probably safe to start writing about our development progress on the new version of Fondusi’s. My plan is to write a blog post once per week (hopefully on Sunday) that sums up the development progress that we’ve done during that week. We’re in our fifth week so I’ll have to do some retroactive work.

Before I get to that, however, a little back story:

About 7 years ago, maybe more… sometime around 2004 anyways, I was a teenage (wanna-be) programmer who thoroughly enjoyed 2D, SNES-like RPGs. Especially the online one’s like Graal, Deloria (RIP <3) and all those Mirage, Elysium, etc. projects. And so it was that I decided to make my OWN 2D, online, SNES-like RPG. So I started messing around with those Mirage/Elysium type VB6 game engines. After Deloria died, there were a few clones, the main one (as I recall) was run by GodSentDeath (GSD) and DarkAngel (or whatever the heck Frank’s alias was). Somehow I got the source to this game after GSD stopped working on it and did a bit (very bit) of work on it. Eventually, I took that source and built it into what Fondusi’s was 1.5 months ago. After weeks, months, years of work. VB6 just wasn’t cutting it. I figured, “Hey, I’m a good programmer. I’ll just recreate the engine.” If only I had known about source control back then…
Read the rest of this entry »

Latest Posts

Post Calendar

July 2024